- A Daring Life: A Biography of Eudora Welty, by Carolyn J. Brown. This biography tell the story of one of the most significant writers of the past century, a prolific
author who comprehends and transcends her Mississippi roots to create
short stories, novels, and nonfiction that will endure for all time. Met the author and get a signed copy this Saturday at Lemuria.
- Juke Joint: Photographs by Birney Imes. A Mississippi classic available in hardcover once again. This book features approximately sixty photographs taken between
1983 and 1989 as Imes traveled throughout the Delta.
- We End in Joy: Memoirs of a First Daughter by Angela Fordice Jordan.
A unique perspective on public life in an intimate account from the daughter of a highly controversial southern governor and a widely beloved first lady.
- Death in the Delta: Uncovering a Mississippi Family Secret by Molly Walling. A deeply personal account of a quest to confront a terrible family legacy. Against the advice and warnings of family, Walling exposes her father's guilty agency in the deaths of two men.
- James Meredith and the Ole Miss Riot: A Soldier's Story by Henry Gallagher. A first person account of the James Meredith era at Ole Miss; told by the head of his US Army security detail. A unique perspective on a pivotal moment in American history as well as an in-depth look at a unique home-front military action.
For other holiday recommendations, see the UPM staff picks on our Pinterest board.