Casual Questions with Scott Ellis

Scott Ellis is the author of Madame Vieux Carre: The French Quarter in the Twentieth Century. The book presents a holistic history of New Orleans’ French Quarter (Vieux CarrĂ©) with an emphasis on social history in the years 1900-2007.

Ellis is an independent researcher living in Panama City, Florida. Ellis will be back in New Orleans and signing copies of his book at Faulkner House Books on April 18 at 2:00 p.m. For more news, reviews, and other information visit www.madamevieuxcarre.com

What was your first job?
  • My first career job was as a technical writer, writing manuals for the U.S. Navy. I was fortunate to have a great mentor who communicated the craftsmanship and discipline of technical writing.  
How do you like to relax?
  • Relaxation, what's that? My idea of winding down is looking at web sites that feature old advertisements, predications of the World of Tomorrow, discussions of retro-technology and the like. I watch Antiques Roadshow devotedly. More to the point, meeting my friends for dinner and drinks in the Quarter.
What is the most satisfying thing about finishing a book or having a
book published? 
  • I suppose unpacking my comps, holding the finished book in my hands, and counting its finger and toes. Also, signing and seeing people I interviewed at the signing and them telling me "Good Show."

Comments