Casual Questions with Eric Gans

Eric Gans is the author of Carole Landis: A Most Beautiful Girl. This book chronicles the tragically brief life of the actress who became every serviceman's pin-up. Carole Landis is now available from UPM.

Eric Gans is professor of French at University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of numerous books including most recently The Scenic Imagination: Originary Thinking from Hobbes to the Present Day, and his articles have appeared in many periodicals.

  • What was your first job?

    My first job was in the NYC Post Office (not yet the Postal Service) in summer 1959. I spent some time throwing mail sacks into chutes at the Mail Transportation facility at Penn Station (dirty & unpleasant), then was transferred to Gracie Station on the East Side (80-96th Sts), where I worked mostly at boxing up mail(and delivering "ends" or pieces of carrier routes, which I sometimes spent too much time on. I was able to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art on my lunch hour. Not a bad job, for a decent salary that at the time was something like $1.80 per hour.
  • How do you like to relax?

    I often watch old movies on TCM, sometimes newer ones; while writing, an occasional crossword puzzle. Outdoors, take walks.
  • What is the most satisfying about finishing a book?

    It's always a satisfaction to see the finished product, although it's also a letdown. Since Carole Landis is my only movie book, seeing her beautiful picture on the cover made the whole thing (5 years) worthwhile.


Comments